And we do not want that to be forgotten during this time of uncertainty.
Document Updated Oct 4, 2021
We are closely following the guidelines suggested by Worksafe BC, Interior Health and School District 23.
Policies put in place to safely return to the Studio:
• The Lobby will be closed, parents will be asked to wait on the street or in their cars for drop off and pick up. Please note if another family member or friend is picking up, we must be made aware ahead of time
• Hand sanitizer will be stationed in the lobby, Rehearsal Hall/Classroom, washrooms, and common areas. It will be part of our routine for all to use them.
• Students are to supply their own lunches (We are a nut-free zone). No food is to be shared and must be kept in a separate lunch container or bag.
• Water stations will be closed-- students must bring a full water bottle, and absolutely NO sharing of water bottles allowed
• Each student must supply their own highlighter, pencil, eraser and must have their own pencil case
• Each student must have a knapsack that all their belongings will be kept in. Please ensure there is enough room for any articles of clothing/shoes they may come to class with.
• Teachers will use one of our 2 Mini Vital Oxide Misters before and after class
• Choreography and Blocking (movement of the actors) will have a NO contact rule
• Teachers will assist in social distancing
• Zero tolerance attendance policy for sick staff and students
• To avoid the sharing of costumes/hats etc., children will be asked to supply black shoes (Dance, character or dress), black pants/skirt. In addition, Kelowna Actors Studio is happy to supply a coloured t-shirt with a logo free of charge that they can keep as a memento.
The province is currently recommending to consider avoiding non-essential trips. The provincial health website has more information and advice for those who do decide to travel.
As of March 15, 2020, any students or staff who have returned to BC (Kelowna) from out of country travel, including by land, are asked to follow the province's recommendation of 14-day self-quarantine.
Please inform the Teacher or Box Office ASAP.
Implement social distancing practices that may include:
• Staggering the beginning and end of the class day
• Avoid large groups in the Lobby
• Teach and model creating space and avoiding unnecessary touching
• Establish procedures if students or staff become unwell
• Plan with local health authorities, health staff and update emergency contact lists.
• Ensure a procedure for separating sick students and staff from those who are well – without creating stigma – and a process for informing parents/caregivers and consulting with health care providers/health authorities wherever possible.
• Students/staff may need to be referred directly to a health facility, depending on the situation/context, or sent home.
• Share procedures with staff, parents and students ahead of time.
• Promote information sharing
• Coordinate and follow guidelines from the national health and education authorities.
• Reinforce that caregivers should alert the school and health care authorities if someone in their home has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and keep their child at home.
• Address children’s questions and concerns, including developing child-friendly materials such as posters that can be placed on notice boards, in restrooms, and other central locations.
• Adapt policies where appropriate
• Address Mental Health/Psychosocial support needs
• Guide students on how to support their peers and prevent exclusion and bullying.
• Ensure teachers are aware of local resources for their own well-being.
• Be aware of fake information/myths that may circulate by word-of-mouth or online.
• Notify the school of your child’s absence and if they have symptoms of COVID
• Track hand washing
• Have children sit further apart from one another, have them practice stretching their arms out or ‘flap their wings; they should keep enough space not to touch their friends.
Thank you. We want to make your Studio experience a SAFE, POSITIVE and HEALTHY one.
Personal Protective Equipment:
▪ Every Theatre Staff member will be wearing proper protective equipment and is fully vaccinated.
▪ In addition, students are required to wear masks.
Please stay home:
▪ If you or anyone you have been in contact with have COVID-19
▪ If you show any symptoms of illness such as fever, chills, shortness of breath or cough
OUR STAFF AND TEACHERS▪ Our staff is fully vaccinated.
▪ Our Fit for Work policy requires that each Staff member complete a health questionnaire to confirm they have not been exposed to anyone with COVID-19 and are symptom-free before they enter the theatre and start their shift.
▪ Every staff member will always wear proper protective equipment, which KAS will supply for its staff members.
▪ Every KAS staff member will be required to wash their hands every 30 minutes.
ENHANCED CLEANING▪ As an enhanced cleaning practice, we have purchased 2 cobalt Mini Vital Oxide Misters. They are an EPA, and Health Canada registered disinfectant cleaner fogger. This is used before and after each class.
▪ KAS has a dedicated Hygiene Officer scheduled on each shift, with the sole responsibility of ensuring that cleaning and safety standards are completed as scheduled and to specification.
▪ Only after the Manager on Duty or Hygiene Officer has inspected—and signed-off on cleaning the classroom—will it be released to seat our students.
▪ We have deployed additional cleaning crew members dedicated to enhanced cleaning of high-contact areas throughout the theatre every 30 minutes.
WASHROOMS▪ Only 2 people may enter the washrooms at any given time. All sinks and stalls are available. Alternate urinals will be closed to provide physical distancing.
▪ Please always respect others and maintain physical distancing when entering, occupying, and exiting the restrooms.
LEAVING THE THEATRETo maintain physical distancing when exiting the theatre, we ask:
▪ Parents wait outside to maintain safe distances.
▪ Students will be brought into the lobby and released out to parents in small groups. Younger students will be required to point out parents so we can watch them safely picked up.
PLEASE HELP EVERYONE ENJOY THEIR EXPERIENCE
▪ PRACTISE PHYSICAL DISTANCING: Keep at least 2 metres (6 feet) from others.
▪ WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN: Wash for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
▪ COUGHING/SNEEZING: Cough and sneeze into your elbow, NOT your hands. Throw any tissues you may use directly into the trash.
▪ WEARING A MASK: Now mandatory, please wear a mask to protect yourself and others. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
THEATRE IS BETTER TOGETHERWe have implemented recommended hygiene and physical distancing protocols throughout our theatre and in each auditorium, but we cannot guarantee your physical health. Therefore, we ask that you do your part by observing all recommended hygiene and physical distancing guidelines during your visit and ask that you let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your experience.
General Information (From BC CDC)
- COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for Child Care Settings: Click Here
- COVID-19 virus has a very low infection rate in children and youth.
- Children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or community settings.
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19? Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) HealthLink BC Click Here.
- Washing hands properly: BC Centre for Disease Control Click Here
- Shareable Link: https://www.kelownaactorsstudio.com/online/article/StudioKidzCovid