And we do not want that to be forgotten during this time of uncertainty.
Document Updated: January 5, 2021
Document Updated: December 8, 2020
Document Updated: March 30, 2020
Document Updated: April 30, 2020
Document Updated: June 30, 2020
Document Updated: August 30, 2020
We are closely following the guidelines suggested by Worksafe BC, Interior Health and School District 23.
Policies put in place to safely return to the Studio:
• The Lobby will be closed, parents will be asked to wait on the street or in their cars for drop off and pick up. Please note if another family member or friend is picking up we must be made aware ahead of time
• Hand sanitizer will be stationed in the lobby, Rehearsal Hall/Classroom and washrooms and in common areas. It will be part of our routine for all to use them.
• Students are to supply their own lunches (We are a nut free zone). No food is to be shared and must be kept in a separate lunch container or bag.
• Each student must supply their own highlighter, pencil, eraser and must have their own pencil case
• Each student must have a knapsack that all their belongings will be kept in. Please ensure there is enough room for any clothings/shoes they may come to class with.
• Teachers will use one of our 2 Mini Vital Oxide Misters to prior to and after class
• Choreography and Blocking (movement of the actors) will have a NO contact rule
• Teachers will assist in social distancing
• Water stations will be closed-- students must bring a full water bottle, and absolutely NO sharing of water bottles allowed
• Zero tolerance attendance policy for sick staff and students
• To avoid the sharing of costumes/hats etc. children will be asked to supply black shoes (Dance, character or dress), black pants/skirt, Kelowna Actors Studio is happy to supply a coloured t-shirt with logo free of charge that they can keep as a memento.
Students and staff returning from international travel, including the US
The province is currently recommend to consider avoiding non-essential trips. The provincial health website has more information and advice for those who do make the decision to travel.
As of March 15, 2020, any students or staff who have returned to BC (Kelowna) from out of country travel, including by land, are asked to follow the province's recommendation of 14-day self-quarantine.
For our staff in this position, we are not requiring medical notes. We are asking for open and honest communication, so that people entering our workplaces are doing so in a safe manner.
Please inform the Teacher or Box Office ASAP
Implement social distancing practices that may include:
• Staggering the beginning and end of the class day
• Avoid large groups in the Lobby
• Teach and model creating space and avoiding unnecessary touching
• Establish procedures if students or staff become unwell
• Plan ahead with local health authorities, health staff and update emergency contact lists.
• Ensure a procedure for separating sick students and staff from those who are well – without creating stigma – and a process for informing parents/caregivers, and consulting with health care providers/health authorities wherever possible.
• Students/staff may need to be referred directly to a health facility, depending on the situation/context, or sent home.
• Share procedures with staff, parents and students ahead of time.
• Promote information sharing
• Coordinate and follow guidelines from the national health and education authorities.
• Reinforce that caregivers should alert the school and health care authorities if someone in their home has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and keep their child at home.
• Address children’s questions and concerns, including through the development of child-friendly materials such as posters which can be placed on notice boards, in restrooms, and other central locations.
• Adapt policies where appropriate
• Address Mental Health/Psychosocial support needs
• Guide students on how to support their peers and prevent exclusion and bullying.
• Ensure teachers are aware of local resources for their own well-being.
• Be aware of fake information/myths that may circulate by word-of-mouth or online.
• Notify the school of your child’s absence and if they have symptoms of COVID
• Track hand washing
• Have children sit further apart from one another, have them practice stretching their arms out or ‘flap their wings’, they should keep enough space to not touch their friends.
Thank you. We want to make your Studio experience a SAFE, POSITIVE and HEALTHY one.
Personal Protective Equipment:
▪ Every Theatre Staff member will be wearing proper protective equip-ment as physical distancing might not always be possible.
▪ While Public Health authorities have not mandated the use of face masks, Guests are encouraged to wear one if they deem it appropriate.
Please stay home:
▪ if you or anyone you have been in contact with, have COVID-19
▪ if you show any symptoms of illness such as fever, chills, shortness of breath or cough
OUR STAFF AND TEACHERS▪ Our Fit for Work policy requires that each Staff member complete a health questionnaire to confirm they have not been exposed to any-one with COVID-19, and are symptom-free before they enter the thea-tre and start their shift.
▪ Every Staff member will always be wearing proper protective equip-ment which will be supplied by KAS for its Staff members.
▪ Every KAS Staff member will be required to wash their hands every 30 minutes.
ENHANCED CLEANING▪ As an enhanced cleaning practice, we have purchased 2 cobalt Mini Vital Oxide Misters. They are an EPA and Health Canada registered disinfectant cleaner fogger. This is used prior to, and after, each class.
▪ KAS has a dedicated Hygiene Officer scheduled on each shift, with the sole responsibility of ensuring that cleaning and safety standards are completed as scheduled and too specification.
▪ Only after the Manager on Duty or Hygiene Officer has inspected—and signed-off on the cleaning of the classroom—will it be released to seat our students
▪ We have deployed additional cleaning crew members who are dedicated to enhanced cleaning of high-contact areas throughout the theatre every 30 minutes.
WASHROOMS▪ Only 2 people may enter the washrooms at any given time. All sinks and stalls are available. Alternate urinals will be closed to provide physical distancing.
▪ Please always respect others and maintain physical distancing when entering, occupying, and exiting the restrooms.
LEAVING THE THEATRETo maintain physical distancing when exiting the theatre, we ask:
▪ Parents wait outside to maintain safe distances.
▪ Students will be brought into the lobby and released out to parents in small groups. Younger students will be required to point out parents so we are able to watch them safely picked up
PLEASE HELP EVERYONE ENJOY THEIR EXPERIENCE
▪ PRACTISE PHYSICAL DISTANCING: Keep at least 2 metres (6 feet) from others.
▪ WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN: Wash for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
▪ COUGHING/SNEEZING: Cough and sneeze into your elbow, NOT your hands. Throw any tissues you may use directly into the trash.
▪ CONSIDER WEARING A MASK: While not mandatory, consider a mask to protect yourself and others. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
THEATRE IS BETTER TOGETHERWe have implemented recommended hygiene and physical distancing pro-tocols throughout our theatre and in each auditorium, but we cannot guaran-tee your physical health. We ask that you do your part by observing all rec-ommended hygiene and physical distancing guidelines during your visit, and ask that you let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your experience.
General Information (From BC CDC)
- COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for Child Care Settings: Click Here
- COVID-19 virus has a very low infection rate in children and youth.
- Children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or in community settings.
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19? Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) HealthLink BC Click Here
- Washing hands properly: BC Centre for Disease Control Click Here
- Shareable Link: https://www.kelownaactorsstudio.com/online/article/StudioKidzCovid